Meet Jeff Barnes
Candidate for Laramie County Sheriff
Jeff Barnes has dedicated his entire professional life to serving others. His military and law enforcement careers span three decades in St. Louis, Missouri, Cheyenne, Wyoming, and throughout the Middle East. His accomplishments include:
- 21 years in the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department where he rose from Patrolman to Patrol Sergeant to the Command Rank of Lieutenant and trained and served in the Department’s Canine Division, Hostage Response Team, Honor Guard, and was a Police Academy Instructor. The Chief of Police appointed him Commander of Operational Planning and Emergency Management for the City of St. Louis, which included coordinating with local and federal agencies for protection of all large scale city events, overseeing Presidential and dignitary visits, and developing response strategies for natural and manmade disasters. See full resume here.
- 32 years with the United States Air Force which included 4 years active duty and 28 years with the Missouri Air National Guard- 231st Civil Engineering Flight, where he attained the rank of Chief Master Sergeant (E9). See Military Bio here
- Deployed to Ali Air Force Base in Southern Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom where he served as Fire Protection Manager directing fire/rescue forces in analyzing fire department operations, determining deficiencies and formulating corrective measures and pre-incident plans.
- Embedded with the United States Army’s 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions (26 months) while serving as a Law Enforcement Professional in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, Bagram Air Base, Iraq and Mozul Provisional Headquarters, Iraq, advising his military counterparts on criminal investigations, counterterrorism, and intelligence gathering operations.
- Security Manager of the St. Louis Science Center- a 300,000 sq. ft. Science Museum and Planetarium serving one million people each year.
- General Manager at Hudson Security, St. Louis, overseeing 140 armed and unarmed security officers as well as sworn peace officers providing security and loss prevention service for corporate clients in the metropolitan area.
- Patrol Deputy for the Laramie County Sheriff’s Department serving as Resident Deputy for the Eastern and Western portions of the County.
In addition to his decorated career in both the public and private sector, Jeff is a devoted husband, father and grandfather. After visiting friends in Cheyenne over 20 years and falling in love with the community and scenery, Jeff and his wife chose to move to Laramie County in 2016. During his time with the Sheriff’s Department, Jeff’s love of the people of Cheyenne and his desire to serve them has grown. His knowledge, skills and abilities make him the ideal choice for the position of Laramie County Sheriff.